Monday, February 04, 2019

What Does the Groundhog Say?

It might be true, it might be fake news or it might be wishful thinking but the groundhogs have spoken! 80% of Canadian groundhogs predict an early spring! (Shubenacadie Sam, get with the program!!) This much I know for sure… after 4 days of experiencing the polar vortex in Toronto, I'm all for an early end to winter!

Winter is part of our Canadian identity. We fuss about it, but it's part of what makes us who we are. Without winter there would be no hockey, no curling, no snow sports, no snowmen/women or - let me try again, no snow persons.   Without winter there would be no 'Roll Up the Rim'… imagine for a moment how cruel a Canadian Winter would be without 'Roll Up the Rim'!

Winter, particularly a very cold winter, makes us resilient. We learn to cope, to survive, to innovate and to overcome. (It strikes me that McGyver may be a Canadian! Who else would know how to start a car in a blizzard with a paper clip, some bubble gum and 30 cms of twine?) #canadianscandoanything

Adversity is an amazing gift when properly received. God uses it to refine us, define us and transform us. I can't say that I've enjoyed the most difficult seasons of my life, but I can say that I see God's redemptive and transforming work in my life because of those seasons. He gives us grace, peace and strength at the same time that we embrace the season that He sends us.

What does the groundhog say? It doesn't matter! Winter (this one and the one you are personally living through) will end at just the right time.


In the meantime, Shubenacadie Sam, I'm watching you!

No comments: