Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Responding To The Giants - Part 1

When I think about David and Goliath, I'm usually thinking about David's faith, the battle, the takedown and the ulitmate victory.  I love the way the story plays out and it never fails to inspire me to live and dream largely.  That said, I've been thinking about something very different lately.  I'm convinced that while we don't have literal 10 foot giants challenging us to fight on a daily basis, we all face giants in our lives.  They appear as problems, challenges, threats and obstacles in our lives.  Sometimes they are financial, physical, emotional or psychological.  Like Goliath, they roar and bellow, daring us to engage them in a life and death struggle.  

There are 4 different kinds of people in the story of David and Goliath.  Each one responded very differently.  Consider the army  with me.  David refers to them as the Armies of God.  These were people with a shared heritage, history and tradition.  God was central to their culture and society but when faced with a threat, they retreated to their tents in fear.  For 40 days the same scene repeated itself.  They ran and hid in their tents when Goliath challenged them.  You have to wonder why....

I believe that their fear was based on a lack of the knowledge of God.  It's not that they were ignorant of their history as much as that they were unaffected by it.  God was a part of their past but absent in their present.  In the midst of their crisis, they had no confidence in the only One who could save them and were left trusting in their own resources and abilities.  It's no wonder that they ran....

I confess that there are times that I run from the giants.  Sometimes they intimidate me tremendously.  It's in those times that I remind myself that God needs to be in my present as much as He has been in my past.  When I take time to remember, when I take time to remind myself, when I take time to feed my spirit with His Word, my faith is rekindled and I am able to face the giants without fear.  So can you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for that word Tim,I needed that. I go to the Full Gospel in Kamloops I havent been there in a while. I am facing multible Giants right now, that was an encourageing word. I belive there will be a healing coming soon to this province.I dont know what it looks like but your ministry is anointed, thankyou for your contribution to this Province I will continue to pray for you and your ministry Bless you. Psalm 118.

Gail Morgan said...

Thanks Tim for that great word of encouragement.
David knew God, and was confident that as he delivered him from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear, He would also divinely deliver him from the hand of Goliath.
We also can be confident that God will divinely deliver us from the situations we face in our lives.
How amazing to know He is the same God today.
Blessings
Gail

Helen said...

Thank you Tim for your wonderful message. Our situation in our family home couldn't have been described better. I believe God is working in all his saints to help us fight under fire. I am so grateful for the small mercies as they appear. My husband and I have been and continue to pray for the fires in this province. We believe that the best solution has yet to come. Praise the Lord, for He is awesome in these dark days.
Helen H. from BTC