Sunday, June 26, 2011

IronMan Of Golf

It was still dark when I pulled out of my driveway at 4:20 on my way to start the IronMan of Golf.  On the way I learned that McDonalds doesn't serve breakfast until 5AM and that there's a line up at Tim Hortons at 4:30.  (Desperate times call for desperate measures...)  I arrived at Olympic View Golf Course at around 4:40 and teed off at 4:55.  The first two rounds were spectacular because there was no one in front of us.  It's the way golf should be played!  Round 1 was complete by 6:55 and Round 2 was done by 9:30.  Round 3 wasn't quite as fast and it just went downhill from there in terms of time. 

I learned some important lessons.  The first was a good reminder that adventures and challenges are always better when they are shared with someone else.  A special thanks to my caddies and drivers, Wally Berndt, Cathy Hallam and Tyler Schindel. 

Success happens when a lot of people work together.  Thanks to our many sponsors, donors and friends who contributed to the financial success of the day.  We are at just over $5500 on the day.  This is what we know of.  Others are pledging after the fact which is fantastic.  If you would like to support this event, click here to make your donation by credit card.  If you prefer to mail a cheque to us, just use our regular mailing address.

Leading Influence Ministries
 626 Blanshard St
Victoria BC   V8W 3G6

The staff at Olympic View was nothing short of incredible.  They cared for every aspect of the day and all I had to do was keep hitting the ball.  By my calculations, I probably had over 500 strokes on the day.  It felt like 1000 by the time I was done ...

You can accomplish more than you think you can if you just put your mind to it.  I hadn't swung a club in 3 years and wondered if I could make it.  By the time I was done, my legs, shoulders and arms were very tired, but I completed the 100.  (Tyler wanted to do another round but after a short snack, dad was ready to call it a day....)

I believe in generosity.  I started with 120 golf balls.  I came home with 40....  There are 80 balls out there somewhere just waiting to be found.

Remarkably, I only lost 3 to the water and just two went into the sand.  The rest are just scattered in the trees.  If you play OV, happy hunting! 

I scored 15 pars on the day.  That might sound impressive (and it would be if I only played 18 holes....)  At 5.5 rounds, it's not nearly that exciting!

For those of you who are wondering how I feel, let me testify to the medicinal qualities of A535, Advil and some very warm baths.  All in all, it hasn't been as bad as I thought, but I know that I did it.... 

Thanks again to everyone who helped make this happen! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Enjoy your much deserved rest.