Thursday, August 17, 2006

God and Change

What's harder for God to do? Move a mountain or move you?

Isn't it interesting how we are very keen to see God move a mountain, but often very reluctant to have God move us?

Generally speaking, I'm very in favour of change, especially when I am in control of the agenda and know where it's going. When that's the case, change is fun, exciting and part of the very big picture. When I'm not in charge of the agenda, change isn't nearly as much fun. Then I become impatient, frustrated and generally restless.

I was talking with a friend last night about how we will grow this ministry. S he relayed a story that she heard from someone earlier in the day. He was arguing with God about how things were going to happen. (Ever do that? Did you ever win? Did God ever let you think you'd won...?) Finally God says to him, "it's easier for Me to provide all the money and resources you need than it is for me to change you into the person I need you to be!"

It's nothing for God to release money, because money is inanimate. It goes where He sends it and does what it is told. Of everything in all creation, we alone our able to "drag our feet" and yet God is forever gracious and patient with us. He initiates, continues and completes what He starts in us so that one day, we are fully conformed into who He wants us to be.

"Being CONFIDENT of this that He who BEGAN a good work in you will CONTINUE it until the day of COMPLETION." Phil 1:6

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay That is just the verse I need to hear, Last night I found this one, Psalm 138:8 The Lord will fulfill his Purpose for me; your love, O Lord, endures forever- do not abandon the works of your hands.

Sometimes I have a hard time seeing any change in myself, seems that there is so much work that need to be done in me

Janice said...

Phil 1:6 is one of my favorite verses. It is very comforting knowing that I am still a work in progress.