Thursday, October 09, 2008

How To Vote In The Federal Election - 5

I think it's very interesting that what began as perhaps the dullest election campaign on record has become perhaps one of our most important elections in light of the current financial crisis. It's been interesting to watch the polls slip, slide and climb for the various parties and I'm guessing that these must be the most stressful days of the entire campaign for leaders and candidates in general.

I was asked earlier today about how I was going to vote. I'm officially non-partisan and while I do exercise my right to vote, I follow the example of my father who always says 'it's a secret ballot and I'm going to keep the secret.' I'm still undecided. I'm hoping someone will say something that will resonate with me before election day. I know what I ENVISION for our nation and I know what VALUES I'm looking for in the lives of those who serve us politically. I also know that sometimes there's a difference between what I want and what's available.

I also wrestle with the whole idea of voting for my local candidate who is actually going to serve my needs and voting for the leader even though most people will never interact with them. I'm leaning towards voting for the local candidate who is most like a servant. On the one hand I want to know their vision, plans and platform, but I also remember that it's my money and the money of my kids that they are promising to spend so I'm not quickly sold on the promises of tax cuts. Historically, people who are servants find ways to serve and they don't do it just before elections. It's a pattern in their lives.

I want a servant to represent my interests in Ottawa not just someone who is looking for a job with some great perks. I hope you do to!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim, I only wish that more politicians would grasp that 'servant' mindset. Too often you see those elected officials get to Ottawa and work on their own agenda while they forget the hundreds of thousands of people they left behind in their ridings.

Tim Schindel said...

Do you really think so? I know it's a commonly held opinion, but I don't know if it's really accurate. I've never been to Ottawa, but I've spent enough time with MLA's in Victoria to know that they are constantly in touch with consitituents at a local level trying to address their concerns.

Anyway... what I really want to know is who is on the other end of this very interesting conversation.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm - I can tell you two things about me and when you figure it out, I'll send you my email so we can catch-up! I can tell you that I haven't had any candidates knock on my door. But the Conservative Candidate gets to take part in the leaders debates - so I have a pretty good idea of what he does or doesn't stand for. (So now you know I live in Calgary, AB) And I can tell you that I've also had the chance to meet Mr. Harper, while I was guarding his house in Calgary. (So now you know I'm a police officer)

As far as the personal agenda discussion - you know more political types than myself. Perhaps I suffer from the misfortune of being in the riding I am - I don't get the "constantly in touch" feeling. And rightfully so with a country to run...

Tim Schindel said...

Okay - this is a reasonable start, but I'm going to need some more help. How about a few more clues??

Louise said...

Haha! A little bird let me 'in' on this conversation! I know who it is......